Sederburg & Associates Sederburg & Associates Call Us 636-928-1040

2021 Newsletter
Old Newsletters
Professional Associations
Donate Goods Guide
The IRS ' 20-Factor Test
Healthcare Timeline
Identity Theft

Friend Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
General Tax Info
Who Must File

Whether you must file a return depends on your gross income, filing status, and age.
Gross Income

Gross income includes all income that you receive in the form of money, goods, property, and services. It does not include any income that is tax-exempt.

Filing Status

Your filing status is determined on the last day of the tax year, which is December 31 for calendar year taxpayers. Your filing status will be determined by whether you are single or married, and what your family situation is.


If you are age 65 or older on the last day of the tax year, you are allowed a higher amount of gross income than other taxpayers before you are required to file a return. The table below lists the income limit amounts for the 2009 tax year.

If your filing status is: and at the end of the
year you were*
you must file if your gross income is at least**
Single under 65 $9,350
  65 or older $10,750
Married Filing Jointly*** under 65 (both spouses) $18,700
  65 or older (one spouse) $19,800
  65 or older (both spouses) $20,900
Married Filing Separately any age $3,650
Head of Household under 65 $12,000
  65 or older $13,400
Qualifying Widow(er)
with Dependent Child
under 65 $15,050
65 or older $16,150

* If you were born on January 1, 1945, you are considered to be age 65 at the end of 2009.
** Gross income means all income you received in the form of money, goods, property, and services that is not exempt from tax, including any income from sources outside the United States (even if you may exclude part or all of it). Do not include Social Security benefits unless you are married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2009.
*** If you did not live with your spouse at the end of 2009 (or on the date your spouse died) and your gross income was at least $3,650, you must file a return regardless of your age.

Who Should File

Even if you are not required to file a tax return, you should if you are eligible to receive a refund. You should file if any of the following are true:

  • You had income tax withheld from your pay.
  • You made estimated tax payments or had a prior year overpayment applied to this year's tax.
  • You qualify for the American Opportunity Credit.
  • You qualify for the First-time Homebuyer credit.
  • You qualify for a refundable credit for paying alternative minimum tax in a prior year.
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Credit.
  • You qualify for the Additional Child Tax Credit.
  • You qualify for the Health Coverage Tax Credit.



> Filing Requirements
> Exemptions
> Itemized Deductions
> Federal Withholding
> Standard Deductions
> Tax Credits
> Education Credits
> Refund Cycle Chart

Home | Our Services | Specials & Promotions | Our Clients | Testimonials | Useful Links | Contact Us
Online Filing | Federal Forms | State Forms | Tax Estimator | General Tax Info | Filing Addresses
Privacy Policy  //  Web Site By: Tracker Designs, LLC
Email Us Phone App